Sunday, September 30, 2012

One Month (+)


When I arrived in Dushanbe six weeks ago, it was hot. And still hot when I arrived in Khujand, nearly a month ago. Every day I put on my sandals to go out the door, and put on my sunglasses. It is always sunny (Yesterday was the first cloudy day I have seen). It is still in the 80s and hot in the sun in the middle of the day, but autumn has fallen: when I sit by the window in the kitchen in the morning with my Nescafe, I wear a flannel shirt because of the breeze.

I am still figuring out a daily schedule. Until this week, I have had the luxury of waking up slowly without morning appointments. I moved my Tajik lessons to 9 am, so on Tuesday and Thursday I now have to get up. I spent the mornings going to the bazaar for food or planning lessons. I have added classes slowly at the American Corner as I get to know the students and volunteers there. They are all eager to talk to a native English speaker, and want TOEFL lessons, and want to know how to get accepted into programs to go to America, and I spend a lot of time just talking with people.

In the evenings Sarah and I make ourselves dinner. We've been invited out many of the nights: to eat with someone visiting from the Embassy, or (twice) to talk to a group of American tourists, and Friday nights the small Khujand expat circle gathers for pizza and beer.

On two Saturdays I have gone with a group of volunteers from the American Corner to talk to students in the regions about American exchange programs and volunteering. I enjoy getting the chance to hang out with them and try to practice my Tajik, mostly listening hard. The coordinator of the American Corner is a wonderful woman I want to get to know better, and most of the volunteers are male university students, who are also students in my classes.

Sundays have been varied: last week I was sick in bed, today I went shopping at both the bazaar and the 'supermarket'. Tomatoes already cost more than they did when we arrived. Though there are fewer raspberries, there are apples everywhere, and they are delicious. I have made two apple pies since arriving, and at the moment I have an apple cake in the oven cooking for a friend's birthday.  Last night we had a bonfire and grilled beef and mutton while enjoying the full moon, and Sarah and I spent a long time explaining to Europeans why we so badly needed marshmallows.

I am looking forward to enjoying the rest of fall. Everyone is bracing for the winter, and warning us to cherish warmth while we can. I am also looking forward to teaching more, and hopefully learning more Tajik. In addition, I am looking forward to more baking, guitar-playing, and swimming - none of which I expected to be a part of my time here.

No comments:

Post a Comment