Monday, November 12, 2012

фол. Fortune.



This woman sits near Panjshanbe Bazaar on busy days calling out that she has fortunes. I was curious about her and her bird, but I did not stop until I was showing visiting friends around the city.

When you stop, she asks your name, and whispers it to the bird. She recites something as she holds the bird over the bundle of fortunes and it picks at a couple before choosing one for you. The bird chose several for me; the woman told me that was lucky. One somoni per fortune. I demurred and took only one.

I went back later to ask if I could take her picture, now that I am slightly less shy of my camera.  Of course I got another fortune. I asked her bird's name and she smiled.

My fortune:
Бахт шарику хамрохи шумост. Дар тичоратмуваффак мешавед. Корхои шахсиатон барор мегирад.

Шумо мехохед оиладор гардед, бахтатонро бо дустоштаатон бинед маданиятатонро аз даст надихед. Накшахоятон амали мегардад. хушбахт мешавед.

Luck is your partner. You will succeed in trade/commerce.  You will be successful in your personal work. 

You want to get married, You will see your luck with your love. Do not lose your culture. You will be lucky. 

She is far from the first person here to tell me that I want to get married, but is the first to mention going into business. With my experience driving the Astro van I think I could become a great mashrutkeh driver....


[N.B. a 'mashrutkeh' is public transportation: these vans have routes in the city and serve as taxi/bus. Usually 1 somoni per ride, or more depending on the distance. People often get packed in as tight as they can fit.]

No comments:

Post a Comment