Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Postcard from Almaty; or Airport (mis)Adventures


I am on my way back from our Fulbright ETA conference in Nepal. I was planning on starting a post about Nepal with something brief about our itinerary: Dushanbe - Almaty - Abu Dhabi - Kathmandu. How amazing and crazy it is that we can fly to three different airports with three different non-Latin alphabets in three days. On the way back, I began Sunday evening with tourists in expensive outdoor clothing in Kathmandu, then flew to Abu Dhabi in order to spend 13 hours in the airport overnight and was a little crazed despite the free WiFi, western coffee chain, and beautifully tiled ceiling. On Monday I flew to Almaty for a 16-hour layover - which is now extended indefinitely, since I missed my Tuesday flight to Dushanbe.

This is definitely the biggest travel mistake I have ever made, whether measured in time (no flight until Friday), money ($300 to switch my flight plus the $195 visa I thought I could get reimbursed for but cannot), or visa wrangling (in few other countries would it be so legally problematic to miss a flight). After being gone for almost two weeks, I had been really looking forward to arriving home in Khujand. I was distraught.

I was most upset about the blow to my pride. Missing the flight was entirely my fault - I was in the airport, at the gate - but the wrong gate, and I realized it five minutes too late. The fact that the flight was held as they called my name and I didn't hear it in their Russian announcement makes it worse. I didn't realize how much I thought of myself as someone who wouldn't do something like this, who wouldn't miss a flight for no reason. Pride comes before a fall.

But people quickly helped me put this fall into perspective. I was reading The Snow Leopard on the plane, and Peter Matthiessen's quest for Buddhism and natural science in Nepal reminded me that I have to accept what is. Others told me that I'm lucky to see another county, to enjoy the adventure, to make lemons from lemonade, and that everything happens for a reason. As I'm still in the lemon-squeezing stage, I'm not yet sure how the lemonade will taste, but I know that I am thankful for the support and the time to stop and think.

I am grateful to the many people who have taken time from their lives - full of other things to do - to help me, including my Fulbright coordinator in Dushanbe, the Fulbright coordinator in Kazakstan, and the travel section at USAID who are helping me to get my exit visa. Mostly I am thankful to the ELF here in Almaty, who has welcomed me into her (warm) apartment and talked with me for hours about everything from teaching TOEFL to how hard it is to shop for pants. Last night she took me to a coffee shop so trendy that I would have marveled at it even in NYC. She drew me a very helpful map so I can walk around and explore.

Almaty is a big city (the biggest in Kazakstan because it used to be the capital). Cars actually stop for pedestrians. Streets are lit at night. Women walk alone even when it is dark. The Kazak bills are so colorful. I know no Kazak and my Russian stops just beyond 'devushka' and 'spasiba', so I have gotten practice at smiling and making hand gestures. To use my English I visited the American Corner, and walked in just as a discussion club was supposed to take place and an American did not show up to lead it, so I did. They told me about Kazak history and holidays. It felt a bit like home, since everyone was so friendly and genuinely pleased to see me.

Today I have had the luxury to sleep, and write, and visit the coffee shop again. It is snowing. It is beautiful as it falls. 

No comments:

Post a Comment